Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Guerrilla pizza party

There's really nothing better than a pizza party - except if it's a Garden Posse homemade pizza party. I've been working for years on perfecting my pizza making technique, persisting despite early experiences of verbal abuse from college roommates when my dough wouldn't rise and the pizza came out like dense flatbread. But it did get better. Now I've declared that if I had to eat one or two foods for the rest of my life, one would be pizza. (The other would be pancakes.) Pizza allows for infinite variety, which some say is cheating.

Last Friday, the Garden Posse made and enjoyed pizza with pesto, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and local cheeses. And then we plotted. The most difficult thing we experienced with our garden at Project Imagine was rallying people to come out to the garden and commit to volunteering. People would show up for a meeting, maybe come by for a couple of weeks, and then disappear. A full garden can't live like that. But with guerrilla gardening, we'll have an evolving group of projects ranging from small to large, some vegetables, some flora, none requiring intense maintenance. That way you can have the good, dirty accomplishment of gardening, the thrill of evading the law, and keep an eye out for the plants and water them if the garden is in your area. And we hope to temper the hard work with post-guerrilla gardening potlucks (and maybe more pizza parties).

Of course, guerrilla gardening still requires the collection of plants, soil, compost, and those little stone squirrels and frogs that add such a nice touch to any garden. Let me know if you have any donation suggestions, or suggestions for guerrilla gardening sites! I've already scouted out several sites within walking distance of my house. I imagine them filled with wildflowers, and gnomes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

lindsay, i'm a gardener and a gardening blogger. i'd like to talk to you about your garden posse projects for a story I'm working on for the american-statesman about guerrilla gardening. my email is rstudebaker@statesman.com

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I read "Food not Lawns" and would LOVE to help out with the oncoming guerilla projects! Contact me : emilymaker@gmail.com

Chirah said...

Lindsay- When is the next gathering, interested in getting my hands dirty.

Lindsay said...

Hi! It's great to hear from everyone - I'm very excited about the interest in our group and guerrilla gardening. I wish we could start our furtive planting right away, but I'm leaving on a trip to Peru this Saturday. I'll be back by the 16th, and intend to go out on a mission before the end of the month.

Expect updates on the blog and in your email if you have provided contact information.