Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Miracle on 34th Street

Okay, so it's not quite a miracle. A vegetable garden, if all goes well, is expected to grow and prosper and give fruit. But you have to admit, it feels like a miracle. Baby tomatoes are growing before our very own eyes.

Is there anything more beautiful than a zucchini flower?

Yes, when that flower is attached to a healthy squash.

It's a cucumber, in its furry fetus stage.

Sprouts coming up where I planted the spinach and lettuce.

A bit of rain in the past week has done this garden a bunch of good.

The lantana, which I'd given up as a dud, has come out with blooms again.

And it looks like this cosmo, planted from seed, is finally about to burst. It reminds me of a baby with a scrunched up face, about to explode into tears. Except I think the cosmo will be a more pleasant experience.

Also, our pizza plant has finally fruited! I ran into the owner of Salvation Pizza while I was watering yesterday morning, and he said he would trade us a small pizza for basil. Mmmm.... I didn't make the trade yet, because I want to share, but I don't want to bring the Posse a week old pizza.

Sharing goes for the rest of the produce from our first guerrilla garden. Everyone, even those not in the Posse, are welcome to take anything from the garden. It's all public. Basil, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and eventually melon, beans, peas, spinach, and lettuce will be there.

Just keep in mind the guidelines we came up with last week: Take some, and leave some for others. Take care of the garden. It's yours!

No comments: